Participants of on-line event organized by AUES named after G. Daukeev, SEC “Green Academy”, Center for Environmental Initiatives (Russia) –– representatives of state bodies, universities of Kazakhstan, research institutes, Eco-Jer, GIZ, UNEP, business structure and NGOs, having discussed the reports submitted, the following recommendations were made:
I. The development of the Low-Carbon Development Strategy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the purpose of which is to increase the sustainability of the national economy by increasing energy efficiency of production, developing emissions trading system and renewable energy sources as well as widespread adoption of green technologies, should become the driver of the country’s new economic strategy at the present stage. In order to develop it and implement it into the strategic planning system of the country, it is necessary:
1. MEGNR together with the akimats of regions and cities of republican significance will conduct a wide inventory of greenhouse gas emissions by regions and cities of republican significance.
2. MNE together with the MEGNR, MIID will hold meeting on the selection of priority indicators for the LCDS and its scenarios. The following indicators of the OECD are recommended as a basis: 1) carbon intensity of GDP (in terms of demand and consumption, taking into account import and export) and per capita; 2) energy intensity of GDP; 3) the wastefulness of GDP; 4) forest cover of territory, etc.
3. MEGNR, MES, MNE, in order to assess the country’s potential for decarbonization, initiate targeted research program to assess possible risks and carbon footprints for the basic sectors of the national economy.
4. MNE, MEGNR to consider introduction of paid quotas for enterprises (plants) included in the National GHG Emission Plan for 2020-2023 and introduction of carbon tax for non-regulated sectors starting from 2021.
5. MF, MNE, MEGNR, AIFC to consider the possibility of issuing “green” bonds for companies that reducing or planning to reduce pollutant emissions.
6. MEGNR, MES, ICGT together with international partners (EBRD, GIZ, etc.) to conduct research to assess the impact of BAT on pollutant emissions.
7. ME, MIID, MES together with international partners (WB, etc.) to intensify research on assessing the potential of geothermal energy sources and launching pilot projects.
8. MEGNR, SEC “Green Academy” with the support of international partners (UNDP, GIZ, etc.) to raise awareness to hold events for heads of government agencies, deputies, scientists, business and NGOs.
9. MDDIA, MEGNR, МES investigate the possibility of introducing digital technologies in the field of emission inventory and GHG reporting and monitoring systems (MRW), including using blockchain platform.
10. MEGNR together with the relevant Committee of the Mazhilis of the Parliament RoK hold thematic meeting and meeting of the Green Economy Council on under the President of RoK to discuss the draft Strategy (LCDS).